Saturday, September 29, 2007

Blogging

So, this notion of blogging? What should I blog about? Should I choose one topic and blog about that? Or should I blog about my daily adventures in NYC? I think for the mean-time, I will play it by ear and write about what comes to mind and hopefully as time goes on, I will have hundreds of readers who log on to read my posts....Enjoy what's on my mind for today!

I was just thinking about my culture. I love to be a Latina. It has proven to have many advantages. For one, because I am an offspring of pure-bred Dominican parents, I am bilingual (in fact, I still speak Spanish at home 95-99% of the time). I don't really look Dominican. Many people have confused me for Puerto Rican (and we all know what a mistake that is), Ecuadorian, Mexican, you name it. Latinas(os) have a distinct air to them, but especially Dominicans.

Ask any Dominican about what I am about to tell you, and they will agree as well. Dominicans love to find other Dominicans. Any time a Dominican finds out someone is from the same island, they'll ask "what part" and then instantly, a bond is created. ESPECIALLY, if they are from the same town or province. More often than not, it turns out that Jose afterall is your Aunts-husband's-sister's-friend's-donkey groomer.

What kinds of interactions within cultures have you noticed ?

No comments: